ICT-enabled new models of healthcare
Starting date: December 2006
Duration: 12 months
Assessment of the potential impact of ICT-enabled new models of healthcare through the identification, assessment and extrapolation of social, economic, cultural impact and transformational dynamics associated with this future evolution.
- To identify the state of the art of development of new ICT-enabled healthcare models.
- To develop a methodology to quantify the potential impacts of these models.
- To prepare a number of possible scenarios within a 15 year timeframe and examine the evolution of the new ICT-enabled healthcare models in the EU.
- To elaborate a prospective quantification of the defined socio-economic factors and impacts associated, which could arise when moving towards new models.
- To prepare policy recommendations in order to maximize the transition towards these new models.
Description: ICT-enabled new models of healthcare are an opportunity to address present and looming problems of the health care system. But getting there is a formidable challenge, when it is considered that this not only requires the transformation of long-standing institutional boundaries and roles of different healthcare actors, but also the sheer organizational complexity that comes with re-organizing information flows and collaborative arrangements across such a vast and diverse system. Tackling these complexities and developing a viable roadmap for new ICT-enabled models of healthcare requires a clear understanding of the organizational changes that are necessary and the costs that are associated with this transformation.
One of the focus areas included in e-Applications is eHealth and its role in the emerging health paradigm of new models of healthcare enabled by ICTs. The prospects of an ageing European society and the challenges to secure inclusive access to quality healthcare at manageable costs on the one hand, and the opportunities that ICT represents on the other, are the main rationale behind the need for research in this area.
- EMPIRICA, Gesellschaft für Kommunikation- und Technologieforschung mbH, Bonn (D)
- "State of the Art of New ICT-enabled Models of Healthcare". European healthcare systems are facing a number of serious challenges as populations get oder, chronic diseases become more prevalent, citizens relocate to different member states and citizens use ICT to retrieve information on diseases and treatment options. Using a set of generic categories of comparison, this report identifies the current state of the art of traditional models of healthcare that are dominant in Europe. The seriousness of the demographic, social and pathological challenges confronting this traditional model requires careful reflection on a new model of healthcare that can address these challenges, and the enabling role of ICT in such a model.
- "Draft Interim Report on Scenarios for the ICT-enabled New Models of Healthcare". This report resulted from an expert workshop held in Seville in September 2007. At the workshop, invited experts were asked to discuss the challenges faced by current European healthcare systems and the technologies required for enabling a new healthcare model for the future. The model envisaged was one that would allow patient-centred care in an environment of limited resources, an ageing population and health-aware, well-informed patients.
Project Leader: Jose A. Valverde
Action Leader: Ioannis Maghiros, Ioannis.Maghiros(at)ec.europa.eu