Next steps in developing Information Society Services in the New Member States - The cases of eGovernment, eLearning and eHealth
Starting date: December 2005
Duration: 14 months
Objectives: The project has a geographic scope on the 10 new Member States (NMS) in 2005 when it was launched. It has three main objectives:
- to collect the relevant qualitative and quantitative data in each domain of eGovernment, eHealth or eLearning, to analyse them and develop a meaningful assessment of both the state and trajectory of development, and to derive the relevant conclusions in terms of policy and research at national level;
- to make a cross-country synthesis in order to build a transnational report on the basis of the ten country reports;
- to contribute to a cross-domain NMS analysis including eGovernment, eHealth and eLearning
To describe foresight scenarios from socio-economic, cultural, technological, and organisational dimensions of the introduction of PHS in European Healthcare Systems.
Description: The research project builds a corpus of detailed factual knowledge about
- current Government institutions and systems, actors and reforms/strategies/policies in relation to the domain,
- domain specific institutional structures, resources, funding, policies and programs/projects, the supporting legal framework, actors, IT infrastructures, services provided to citizens and business.
Based on the researchers´ analysis and assessment all the country reports and the synthesis work will identify the major specific technical, economic, political, ethical and socio-cultural contextual factors - drivers and barriers – which influence eHealth services developments. These outcomes should lead to analyse the possible specific (to eHealth) policy options at local, regional, national and/or European level whenever relevant, in order to address the challenges and the local/global needs to make progress on the domain in each country and the NMSs as such. At the end the reports should suggest the most important future technical and non-technical R&D challenges specific to eHealth, in order to address the challenges and the local/global needs identified under the policy option section.
The research work applies different methodologies incl. collection of internationally comparable statistical data, other data from local sources, results of recent international and local surveys, making targeted interviews with al least 15 experts in each country with a well-balanced participation of all the major stake-holders' group (local and central government, business, academy).
Since two other research projects run parallel with this effort on eGovernment, eHealth and eLearning in the NMSs, using the same methodology and following the same timing, not only a cross-country, but a cross-country cross-domain analysis and synthesis will also be done in order to identify factors (drivers/barriers) and options to develop further the public eServices in the NMSs
- ICEG EC, Budapest (Consortium leader)
- 10 national teams from each NMS
- EDEN 2008 Annual Conference, 11-14 June 2008, Lisbon, Portugal. For further information, please see conference website
- Krynica Economic Forum, 6-9 September 2006, Krynica, Poland:
Our agenda is hosted by a partner: See agenda
The official site is at: forum-ekonomiczne...
"Proceedings" hosted by a partner Please, find them in this page
- eHealth 2006 High Level Conference, 9 – 12 May 2006, Malaga, Spain
SPECIAL WORKSHOP: “eHealth in an Enlarged Europe: A universe of opportunities”
Conference webpage: eHealth 2006 High Level Conference
- The World of Health IT Conference on 10-13 October 2006, Geneva, Switzerland
IPTS presented "Thought Leader Session" on "eHealth Developments in the New Member States: State of the art, achievements, drivers and challenges" [slides in pdf version].
- "The Development of eServices in an Enlarged EU: eLearning in Estonia" - Report
- "The Development of eServices in an Enlarged EU: eLearning in Hungary" - Report
- "The Development of eServices in an Enlarged EU: eLearning in Latvia" - Report
- "The Development of eServices in an Enlarged EU: eLearning in the Czech Republic" - Report
- "The Development of eServices in an Enlarged EU: The Case of eLearning" - proceedings in the EDEN 2008 Annual Conference, 11-14 June 2008, Lisbon Portugal. Article
- "Inter-relation between Information Society and eGovernment Developments in the New Member States"
article, presented at the Eastern Europe e-Gov days´05, 17-18 March 2005, Budapest, Hungary.
Article and presentation in this page...
Project Leader: Marcelino Cabrera
Action Leader: Clara Centeno, Clara.Centeno(at)ec.europa.eu