Starting date: 20 August 2013
Duration: 36 months
Case Studies on Open Innovation in ICT,
DI MININ Alberto, DE MARCO Chiara Eleonora, MARULLO Cristina, PICCALUGA Andrea, CASPRINI Elena, MAHDAD Maral, PARABOSCHI Andrea. Editors: GABISON Garry, PESOLE Annarosa
How to catch a Unicorn: An exploration of the universe of tech companies with high market capitalisation. Jean Paul Simon. Editor: Marc Bogdanowicz, 2016
How to catch a Unicorn: Case Studies.
SIMON Jean-Paul, BOGDANOWICZ Marc, 2016
Intellectual Property and Innovation in Information Communication Technology (ICT). Stefano Comino and Fabio Maria Manenti. Editor: Nikolaus Thumm, 2015
Digital entrepreneurship barriers and drivers - the need for a specific measurement framework. Marc Bogdanowicz, 2015
In order to reinforce understanding of innovation in the ICT sector and of ICT-enabled innovation in the rest of the economy, JRC-IPTS and DG CONNECT launched the 3-year research project on European Innovation Policies for the Digital Shift (EURIPIDIS) in 2013.
The purpose of the EURIPIDIS project is to provide evidence-based support to the policies, instruments and measurement needs of DG CONNECT for enhancing ICT innovation in Europe, as part of the Digital Agenda for Europe and of the ICT priority of Horizon 2020, paying particular attention to the improvement of the transfer of best research ideas to the market.
EURIPIDIS aims to:
- Better understand how ICT innovation works, both at the level of actors such as firms, and at the level of the ICT “innovation system” in the EU,
- Assess the EU's current ICT innovation performance, by attempting to measure ICT innovation in Europe and measuring the impact of existing policies and instruments (such as FP7 and Horizon 2020).
- Explore and suggest how policy makers could make ICT innovation in the EU work better.
In particular, EURIPIDIS strives to:
- Explore and map the relations between the ICT innovation system and the different innovation models of actors ranging from start-up to multi-national companies.
- Identify drivers and barriers for the transfer of research ideas to the market.
- Measure the EU's ICT innovation performance and identify the role and position of Europe in the global landscape.
- Analyse and assess the barriers and drivers for ICT innovation.
- Investigate the innovative impact of FP7.
- Relate the analysed evidence about the ICT innovation performance, process and gap to the conception, monitoring and evaluation of EU policies for ICT Research and Innovation.
builds on the previous and current
IPTS research projetcs:
PREDICT, Patent intelligence for policy support.
Results of the EURIPIDIS project are regularly published on this web pages.
Models of ICT Innovation & ICT Innovation Ecosystems
- Systems and Modes of ICT Innovation. René Wintjes. Editor: Federico Biagi (forthcoming)
- Models of ICT Innovation: Evidence from the Community Innovation Survey. Federico Biagi, Annarosa Pesole, Juraj Stancik (forthcoming)
- Case Studies on Open Innovation in ICT. DI MININ Alberto, DE MARCO Chiara Eleonora, MARULLO Cristina, PICCALUGA Andrea, CASPRINI Elena, MAHDAD Maral, PARABOSCHI Andrea. Editors: GABISON Garry, PESOLE Annarosa, 2016
- How to catch a Unicorn: An exploration of the universe of tech companies with high market capitalisation. Jean Paul Simon. Editor: Marc Bogdanowicz, 2016
- How to catch a Unicorn: Case Studies.
SIMON Jean-Paul, BOGDANOWICZ Marc, 2016
- Models of ICT Innovation. Ten cases of successful innovative ICT SMEs in France. Alain Puissochet. Editor: Marc Bogdanowicz, 2015
- Models of ICT Innovation: A focus on the cinema sector. Pierre-Jean Benghozi, Elisa Salvador, Jean Paul Simon. Editor: Marc Bogdanowicz, 2015
- Models of Innovation in Global ICT Firms: The Emerging Global Innovation Ecosystems. Martin Fransman. Editor: Marc Bogdanowicz, 2014
- An Overview of Models of Distributed Innovation. Open Innovation, User Innovation and Social Innovation. Garry Gabison and Annarosa Pesole, 2014
ICT Innovation Barriers and Drivers: Intellectual Property Rights and Standardisation
ICT Innovation Barriers and Drivers: Entrepreneurship
ICT Innovation Barriers and Drivers: Financing
ICT Innovation Barriers and Drivers: Demand-side Policies
- Incentivising innovation and adoption of ICT: ICT innovation voucher programmes. Paola Valbonesi. Editor: Federico Biagi (forthcoming)
Measuring ICT Innovation
- Measures of ICT Contribution to Innovation Output: An Update of the ICT Innovation Output Indicator. Annarosa Pesole (forthcoming)
- European startup hotspots: An analysis based on VC-backed companies, Daniel Nepelski, Giuseppe Piroli, Giudita de Prato (forthcoming)
- Innovation Radar: Identifying Innovations and Innovators with High Potential in ICT FP7 & H2020 Projects, Giuditta De Prato, Daniel Nepelski, Giuseppe Piroli. Editor: Eoghan O'Neill, 2015
- Birth, Growth, Survival, and Death of ICT Companies, Garry Gabison. 2015
- How much does ICT contribute to innovation output? An analysis of the ICT component in the innovation output indicator. Annarosa Pesole. 2015
Empirical Studies on ICT Innovation
- Counterfactual Impact Evaluation of Public Funding of Innovation, Investment and R&D. Daniele Bondonio, Federico Biagi and Juraj Stancik (forthcoming)
- INNOREG: A Comprehensive Dataset on Government Policies Affecting Innovation. Giorgia Casalone and Federico Biagi (forthcoming)
- Empirical Studies on the Impacts of ICT Usage in Europe. Martin Falk and Federico Biagi, 2015
Other related publications:
- Workshop: European Innovation Policies in the Digital Single Market - Present and Future Challenges, Brussels, 08 April 2016
- International experts workshop: Workshop on Digital Innovation: Models of ICT innovation, ICT innovation drivers and barriers, and policy lessons, Seville, 22 June 2015
- International experts workshop: Models of innovation in the Creative and Content Industries: Lessons from the Cinema industry. Results and Policy implications. Brussels, 23 March 2015
- International experts workshop: Models of Innovation in the Creative and Content Industries: Inspiring Insights from the Cinema Industry. Sevilla, 7 November 2014
- International experts workshop: Standard Essential Patents in ICT and Innovation in Europe. Sevilla. 27 October, 2014
- International experts workshop: Mapping EU ICT start-ups and their ecosystems. Brussels, 04 July 2014
- International Conference:"Innovation in a European Digital Single Market – The Role of Patents"
Brussels, 17 March 2015
For more information, see the conference webpage
Paul Desruelle - Paul.Desruelle@ec.europa.eu